Corder Missouri, located in Lafayette County is approximately sixty miles east of Kansas City and was founded by Nathan Corder from Rappahannock County, Virginia. Corder came to the area with a large number of slaves in 1839. By the 1850s, the Corder home was only the third home located in a thirty mile stretch between Lexington and Sweet Springs.
The first post office was established in 1878 and it was also in the same year that the Chicago and Alton railroad extended service from St. Louis to Kansas City and established a stop at Higginsville, Missouri, which was just six miles away from Corder. In 1881 the town was incorporated and it was a time when coal deposits were discovered, which were used to fuel the local rail line and keep the economy of the town going.